Saturday 12 May 2012

Dirty Protest - 10th May 2012

Dirty Protest were established in 2007 to promote new work. Using the theme of "May Day" Debi Maclean curated seven pieces, written in four weeks, lasting from three to ten minutes and to feature no more than two female and one male character.
The performance took place under Bunkbed bar and was intimate theatre at its most literal sense. You could either sit on the floor surrounding the actors, on benches which provide no real view of proceedings or you stand up and see what you can between other heads and pillars. One of my friends gave up after one play while another asked me at the end if the actors were reading from scripts as he just couldn't see.
These practical problems were a shame as this was quite an enjoyable evening. Some plays I enjoyed more than others which is the advantage of short pieces, if you don't like the current one, another will be along soon.

My personal favourites were "Crossing" and "Mayday". In the former I loved Tudor Owen's concept of a couple rowing round the coast for charity, only for one to reveal he had been unfaithful. I thought the evening ended strongly with Keiron Self's touching tale about a comic book writer struggling on a date following the death of his wife. It was the perfect short play, funny, moving & wanting you to know more about the characters.

Impressively this evening moved along sharply ending within an hour. Lee Mengo, Rhian Blythe and Ffion Williams all handling their multi-roles well. Ultimately, I enjoyed the show more than I expected when it began. Would I go again? Probably not unless the venue is more audience friendly. Fortunately, I see their first full-lenth play " After The End" will be staged at Sherman Cymru in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment