Sunday 13 May 2012

Candi Staton - 5th May 2012

Every now and then I kindly allow my wife to select a show to see, which is how I ended up watching Candi Saton. I quite like a couple of her songs though I am not a great fan of 1970's souls music and was concerned this might turn into ninety minutes of " Young Hearts Run Free".

A generic cover of the Dobbie Brothers hit " Listen To The  Music" didn't bode well although the early appearance of one her biggest UK hits " Nights On Broadway" helped to relax the packed  audience.

We all knew she had a great voice but gradually we realised we were in the presence of an experienced entertainer who knew how to work the room. She carefully explained about the songs she was about to sing, talking about the writers and her reminescences, I never knew she was Grammy nominated for " Stand By Your Man" in 1971 etc.

For me the surprising aspect of the show was discovering what a great interpreter she is. Not only could she belt them out but she inhabited the songs, making them her own. She did a stunning version of a Bonnie Raitt song before singing " Breaking Down Slow" so poignantly I was moved to tears. I wasn't bothered by "Suspicious Minds" but her breath-taking take on " In The Ghetto" has replaced the Elvis version in my head.

I am a big Paloma Faith fan but surprisingly she was unable to compete with Miss Staton's on an improptu version of her 1969 hit" I'ld Rather Be An Old Man's Sweetheart (Than A Young Man's Fool").

The stage was dominated by the American's voice and presence but afterwards  we saw her walking to her hotel and she looked tiny. (We were also amazed when we checked her age ( which I am too gallant to reveal) and discovered she was a decade older than we expected.

Credit must also go to her band who were all musically expert in their own right and now how to support the star without diminishing from her stunning abilities,  helping to provide a storming show. Technically, not Jazz but when a show is as good as this who cares about labels.

Thank you Miss Staton for appearing and thanks to my wife for choosing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment