Friday 31 December 2010

Kevin Eldon - Friday 17th December 2010

I may have seen 32 shows at his year's Edinburgh festival but there are still plenty of good shows I missed. Since last August I have caught Linda Marlowe's " The World's Wife" and Simon Callow in "The Man From Stratford" and when I found out ( thank you Buzz Magazine") Kevin Eldon was touring " Titting About" I leapt into action.

In all five of us booked to see his first performance at the Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff. However, the arrival of a lot of snow ensured I was the only one of my group to turn up. I rather hoped the show would be cancelled, but boy was I wrong.

I duly took my customary position in the front row ( why do peple avoid this great seat when watching a non-threatening comedian) to watch this sell-out, although the weather resulted in a few gaps in the audience.

The moment he arrived on stage we could relax as we were in the hands of a supreme performer. Kevin Eldon is mainly known as an actor and tonight predominantly appeared in character. From the poet Paul Hamilton to George Martin's voice being used by Hitler, interspersed with dramatic selections from his latest play ( allowing him to use to use his most famous attributes, his eyes, to hysterical effect), it was a master class in comic timing and subtlety. Not a moment was wasted, every gesture was there was a purpose and we all loved him for it. Considering this was his first stand-up and he is not known for his writing the quality of the material was breath-taking. Fortunately, for those who missed this event the two shows in Cardiff were recorded for future DVD release. If you see a grey, bearded gentleman, wearing wellies and laughing hysterically, it was me.

Thank you Mr Eldon. Any inconvenience suffered this evening was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment